Expedition to Ajusco
- Duration: 1 day
- Altitude: 3,930 meters (12,893 feet)
- Vertical gain: 800 meters (2,624 feet)
- Total distance: 5 kilometers (3.1 miles)
- Total time: 5 hours (ascent 3, descent 2)
- Terrain: simple
- Two hours of aerobic exercise per week
Did you know that Mexico City has a 3,930 meter (12,893 feet) high mountain? The Ajusco is the capital’s highest point, and it is an excellent way to get acquainted with the alpine world, or a great peak in which to improve your acclimatization level.
The ascent takes between two and a half and three hours, with a vertical gain of 750 meters (2,460 feet). This trek is suitable for anyone with an average physical condition, for example, someone who does two hours of exercise per week. The terrain is technically simple.
We drive toward the south of the city, and take the Ajusco Road, while we gain some altitude. We park near the Alpine Hut, and begin our trek through a deep forest.
Our ascent route follows the famous “Devil’s Rigde”, from which we enjoy fabulous views of the capital. The steepness is of more than thirty per cent at times. We reach the Eagles’s Peak, a false summit at an altitude of 3,900 meters.
We then descend to a nearby col, walk up another 500-meter slope and reach the real summit, the Cross of the Marquis, at 3,930 meters. From this point, on a clear day, you can admire several peaks: Nevado de Toluca, San Miguel Hill, Iztaccíhuatl and Popocatépetl.
From the summit we go down towards the Eagle’s Canyon, that leads directly to the Alpine Hut in about one hour. In this area there are several restaurants where we can enjoy a delicious typical Mexican lunch. One hour later we will arrive in downtown Mexico City.
One Day Equipment
- Dryfit underwear
- Trekking boots or sports shoes and socks
- Polartech-like pants and jacket
- Goretex or similar pants and jacket
- Winter and sun hats
- Bandana or Buff (optional)
- Helmet (provided by AdvenCulture)
- Crampons (provided by AdvenCulture if needed)
- Walking poles (can be rented from AdvenCulture)
- Sun glasses
- Sun & lip screen
- 2 liters of water or sports drink
- Medium-size backpack (30 l)
- Your favorite snacks (for instance, sandwiches, chocolate, dried fruits, protein bars, cookies, etc)