Expedition to Cerro de San Miguel
- Duration: 1 Day
- Altitude: 3,754 meters (12,316 feet)
- Vertical gain: 660 meters (2,165 feet)
- Total distancel: 16 kilometers (9.16 miles)
- Total time:6 hours (ascent 3 and a half, descent 2 and a half)
- Terrain: Simple
- Two hours of aerobic exercise per week
The Cerro de San Miguel is the highest point of the Desierto de los Leones Park, at 3,754 meters.
The ascent takes between three and three and a half hours, and takes us through a beautiful forest. The vertical gain is 660 meters.
This trek is suitable for everybody in regular shape who exercises two hours a week. Technically, it is an easy mountain.
We drive towards Toluca, and take the exit at Contadero, which leads us to the Cruz Blanca parking lot, where we leave our cars and start walking.
From the summit, where we will find an old chapel devoted to San Miguel, we will enjoy a gorgeous view of the capital, and the surrounding volcanoes: the Nevado de Toluca, the Ajusco, the Iztaccíhuatl y the Popocatépetl.
We descend using a wilder, more direct route, which will avoid the mountain bike trails. In about two hours we are back in the parking lot. One hour later we will arrive in downtown Mexico City.
One Day Equipment
- Dryfit underwear
- Trekking boots or sports shoes and socks
- Polartech-like pants and jacket
- Goretex or similar pants and jacket
- Winter and sun hats
- Bandana or Buff (optional)
- Helmet (provided by AdvenCulture)
- Crampons (provided by AdvenCulture if needed)
- Walking poles (can be rented from AdvenCulture)
- Sun glasses
- Sun & lip screen
- 2 liters of water or sports drink
- Medium-size backpack (30 l)
- Your favorite snacks (for instance, sandwiches, chocolate, dried fruits, protein bars, cookies, etc)